Cripsy Chille Rellenos with our Avocado Oil
- 4 large poblano peppers
- 8 oz (225g) Monterey Jack or queso fresco cheese, cut into strips
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 4 large eggs, separated
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Avocado oil, for frying
- Salsa or tomato sauce, for serving (optional)
- Preheat your broiler to high. Place the poblano peppers on a baking sheet and broil them, turning occasionally, until the skins are blistered and charred. This process usually takes about 5-7 minutes. Remove the peppers from the oven and transfer them to a bowl. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and let them steam for about 10 minutes. This will help loosen the skins.
- While the peppers are steaming, prepare the filling. Take each pepper and make a lengthwise slit from the stem end to the tip. Carefully remove the seeds and membranes, keeping the stem intact. Stuff each pepper with the cheese strips. Set aside.
- In a shallow dish, place the flour. In another dish, whisk the egg whites until frothy. In a separate bowl, beat the egg yolks with salt until smooth.
- Heat avocado oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat until it reaches about 375°F (190°C).
- Take a stuffed pepper and roll it in the flour, making sure it’s evenly coated. Then dip it into the beaten egg whites, followed by the egg yolks, ensuring the pepper is completely coated.
- Carefully place the coated pepper into the hot avocado oil and fry until golden brown and crispy, turning occasionally. This process typically takes about 3-4 minutes per side. Once crispy and golden, remove the pepper from the oil and drain on a paper towel-lined plate. Repeat the process with the remaining peppers.
- Serve the crispy Chile Rellenos hot with salsa or tomato sauce if desired. They are best enjoyed immediately.
Enjoy the crispy and cheesy goodness of these Chile Rellenos, fried to perfection using avocado oil!